Chronic toxicity is the development of adverse effects of long term exposure to toxic materials and drugs. In Ayurveda it is explained as separate branch called agad tantra. In which it is explained as gara visha (poisonous effect of plants herbs and mineral medicine). This can result in many nervous disorders, and liver disorders.
Plant detoxification processes
Ayurveda uses a lot of plant, animal and mineral origin materials. Some of them due to its aggressive properties can cause harm to the body.
The acharyas have given certain purification methods to decrease the bad properties and make them adaptable for medicinal use, which is very helpful. This process is called shodana (purification). The only way to reduce toxicity of the drug is by using other herbs for purification.
In Ayurveda plants are the main source of medicine, some plants that are having toxic effect are told and how to purify them is also explained. Shodana is a samsakara (when you change the property of the drug ). It is a detoxification processes for the plant.
The purification processes are basically intended to reduce toxicity of material. And use them for medicinal purpose. Heavy metals such as mercury lead, cadmium, and aluminium, are in our food, water, dental fillings, pesticides, and many modern drugs.
Processed foods have different kinds of preservative and chemicals, which start accumulating in the body and can be bad for the body.
Foods and drinks are chemical based. Long term exposure leads to physical, muscular and nervous damage leading to Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and multiple sclerosis etc…
Some of the symptoms are:
- memory problem
- blood sugar disturbance
- joint pain
- head ache
- gastric problems
- auto immune disease
- neuro disease
- coated tongue (which suggests ama/or non digested food)
- night sweats, etc…
The reason behind this could be rapid industrialization. According to Ayurveda in agadtantra, it explains 3 toxins, ama, amavisha and gara visha:
- Ama,and ama visha is the side effect of toxic of food undigested
- Gara visha is the third type of toxin, it comes from outside the body, foreign body, basically from air water, drugs, chemicals , etc…
These toxins are difficult to remove from the body and needs special detox therapies. The problem with heavy metals is that they accumulate deep in to the body causing kidney and cardio problems. For cleansing Ayurveda suggests panchakarmа therapies.
When toxins are accumulated in the channel (srothas),in different systems of the body , like digestive and nervous systems, with time they are deeprooted in the systems and is difficult to remove them.
With oral medication the symptoms can be relived but the toxins must be removed, for that purification therapy is needed to bring back the doshas to normal. To attain maximum benefit, the body has to be purified.
The clean and clear channels will help the medicine help the body better and help the medicine get absorbed.
Panchakarma contains poorva karma(before therapies), Pradhan karma (the main therapy), and pashat karma ( rules for after therapy, like life style, medicine ,rasayana,)
Metal toxicity is diagnosed with blood test, urine analysis, and hair mineral analysis.
- Use full foods in mineral detoxfication of mercury are, amla, coriander, garlic ,onion, sulphur containing foods help to a certain extent.
- Hot Water according to need of the body, flax seeds help.
- Antioxidant foods of Ayurveda help.
- Carefully selecting your diet can help in reducing toxicity, pure drinking water, organic food, safe cook wear like stainless steel ,not to use aluminium vessels and foil.
- Avoid having more sea food, and deep sea fish, it may contain mercury.
- Avoid smoking.
- Regular exercise and sweating helps a lot
- Panchakarma should be done with the correct medicine according to the symptoms and the study of the toxicity once in a year
- It is best to avoid pesticide sprayed food.
A branch of Ayurveda called rasa shastra uses a lot of herbo- mineral drugs. There they have explained how to purify all metals to use for medicinal use and make it absorbable for the human body without causing harm.
Rasa means mercury so it deals with medicine made from mercury and sulphur purified and mixed together. This is being used for centuries and if made correctly it is very beneficial for disease.
Arsenic – it can cause vomiting, anorexia, cramps, mouth ulcers, diarrhoea high level in body it can cause cancer.
- Causes, autism in children, Parkinson’s, fatigue .
- Lead leads to cardiovascular disease , kidney disease, memory.
- Cadmium cause lung disease and renal problems,.
- Copper causes liver and kidney problems.
- Cilantro and coconut water is very useful in mineral poisons.
Purification of various plants
Eg- vatsanabh(aconitum chasmanthum), vishatinduka(strychnos nuxvomica),gunja9abrus precatorius),dhatura(dhatura metal),bhallataka(semicarpus anacardium),,jaiphal(croton tiglium).
Purification of these plants
Vatsanabha (aconitum ferox) the synonym of this is visha and amrita, that means it is poison, and nectar.
- root is used from this plant.
- it is used in fever, rheumatoid arthritis, sciatica , rasayana when purified.
- The purification processes including swedana in dola yantra for three hrs in cow milk.
- If there is no tingling sensation and numbness of tongue means it is safe to use after shodana.
- 10 to 20 mg per day with honey or milk is dose.
- Avoid heat producing food and alcohol.
- Borax and alum are antidotes of aconite side effects.
- It is also known as kuchela.
- Seed is used for medicinal purpose.
- Classical method includes seeds should be tied in a piece of cloth and soaked in dola yantra for 3 hrs by adding cow’s milk.
- Then wash with warm water and remove covering of seeds
- Then fry them in cow ghee
Or you can do shodana in gomutra for seven days
Gunja (abrus precatorius)
- Seeds of the plant is used.
- If not purified it causes vomit and diarrhoea.
- It is also tied in cloth and cooked in dola yantra for 3 hrs , and washed in warm water for purification.
- It is useful for treating, nerve disorders, urustambha etc..
- Dose 50 mg.
Dhatura (dhatura metal)
- It is also called Swarna, kanak shivashekhara etc.
- The whole plant is useful for medicine but seeds are harmful .adverse effects are thirst, cramps, unconscious and giddiness’s.
- It is also tied in pottali and cooked in cows urine or cows milk for three hrs.
- They should be washed in warm water and dried in sun.
- It is used in the treatment of oedema, asthma, kushta, krimi(worms), rheumatism.
- Dose 25 mg with cows milk.
- To prevent it from side effect sugar and milk should be given.
- It is also called agni, tapana etc…
- It can be used in nervous problem, rheumatism, epilepsy, asthma, constipation, colic pain etc..
- Impure bhallatak causes blisters, diarrhoea, ulcers, oedema, burning sensation.
- It is purified by soaking it in water and rubbed over a piece of brick for outer covering to be removed.
- Wash seeds and cook in dola yantram in cows milk for three hours.
- Wash and dry
- Coconut oil is applied so that hands do not get blisters when purification is going on
- Normal dose is 125 mg with milk, butter, ghee
- Coconut oil, pulp, water is a good anti dote.
- It is a strong purgative.
- It is also known as rechak, sarak.
- It is purified by soaking in dola yantra in cows milk for 3 hrs and washed with hot water later.
- It is used as a virechana drug, ascites, kushta.
- Dose 25 mg.
- Borax is an antidote for this carton seed drug side effect.