Everyone wishes to have strong, healthy and shiny hairs. Hairs are symbol of beauty and an indicator of health. Color of hairs is considered as symbol of youth. Now repeated use of chemicals for hair wash, hair conditioning and different hair style, damage the hair. Chemical treatments and procedure are responsible for damaging hair roots, scalp skin and makes hair more dry, brittle and grey in color.
Hair and bio type or Prakruti
Being aware about own constitution (prakruti) according to ayurveda will help the person to take care of his hairs with some special methods mentioned in ayurveda panchakarma treatment. Information in given chart helps to identify personal hair type according to characteristics of hairs.
|Hair||Dry, rough, kinky||Soft, premature greying, baldness||Thick, oily, soft|
|Hair color||Light brown, dark brown, black||Golden brown, ginger brown, auburn, red strawberry, blonde, dark blonde||Dark brown, black, pale blonde, ash blonde|
- Vata type and pitta type of hair needs coconut oil/sesame oil for a massage at least three times per week. Head massage can be done in the late evening and hair to be washed the morning
- Kapha type needs oil massage ones or twice per week, few hours before bath. Any kind of oil used for cooking can be used for kapha type. Mustard oil is used for head massage in kapha type.
- Using hair dryer damages Pitta hair so such practice is not recommended
Hair must be washed with lukewarm temperature water. In summer it can be wash with room temperature water. Never wash hairs with hot water as it damages the skin and nerve roots. Habit of hair washing with hot water is one of the commonest reasons for hair fall and premature greying of hair.
Repeated use of strong chemical shampoo must be avoided.
Choose herbal based shampoo instead of chemical shampoo.
Hair wash with water prepared by herb amla fruits is best option as hair wash solution to prevent hair fall and premature graying of hair.
- Preparation method of amla hair wash solution – 20 grams of dried powder or dry fruits of amla bolied in 2-liter water for 5 min. The filtered solution is used for hair wash
- Always apply some oil over head before hair wash. You can use any kind of cold pressed oil for head massage
- It is not advisable to comb the hairs when they are wet. It damages the roots
- Avoid using hair gels
Herbal Hair mask
Herbal hair mask from henna is best mask for shiny hairs and conditioning of hairs.
Takradhara – procedure of pouring medicated buttermilk over the forehead of the patient. Imbalanced Pitta energy is the main reason for premature hair fall. Takra dhara is helpful to treat hair problems due to pitta disorders.
It cures premature hair fall and premature greying of hair. Shiro dhara with medicated Pitta pacifying oils like Amla oil, Yashti oil, Himasagar oil can be done as per the dosha involved for long thick hair growth.
Nasya is meant for purification of the head region. The excess of bodily humors accumulated in the sinus, throat, nose or head is eliminated with Nasya. Daily use of Anu thailam for nasya will help to keep hairs in perfect health condition up to end of life.
Basti (Medicated enema)
Medicated enema helps greatly to maintain the health of hairs as it strengthens the digestion on the site of intestine. Weak intestine is reason for hair problems.
Important herbs for long thick hair growth
Sesame (Sesamum Indicum)
Sesame oil is the best oil for head massage. It is the base oil for many medicated oils used in Ayurveda. Massaging the scalp and the hair roots is an excellent way to reduce hair fall and grow hair naturally. The seeds can be consumed after dry roasting them. Having handful of sesame seeds first thing in the morning followed by a glass of tap water is excellent nutrition for the hairs.
Amla (Embelica officinalis)
- Amla is high in Vitamin C content and is an excellent Ayurvedic treatment for hair growth. Amla can be used so many ways both internally and externally
- Eating one fruit a day is the best practice as it can correct metabolism, eliminates toxins and is one of the best rejuvenation medicines especially for hair
- Coconut oil processed with fresh amla juice can be used for scalp massage or one can use various hair oils available with amla.
- One can also use amla to promote hair growth by drinking 30ml of fresh amla juice daily
- Amla powder is an excellent addition to hair masks.
Bhringaraj (Eclipta alba)
This herb is also called ‘King of Hair’ (Kesha raj) and is one of the best natural remedies for hair growth. Bhringaraj powder can be added to hair packs to retain color, reduce hair loss and promote hair growth.
One may apply paste of bhringraj on the scalp, leave it for half an hour and then wash the hair or can massage the scalp with bhringaraj oil before shampooing with herbal shampoo, twice a week. Internal use of bhringaraj extract 500mg two times a day is also advisable along with the external use. It can be used as rejuvenating agent for hair.
Brahmi (Bacopa Monneiri)
Brahmi is one of the best herbs for treating stress. It boosts brain and is a very good nervine tonic used in Ayurveda as a tranquilizer. Stress is one of the major causative factors for early hair fall. Massage your hair and scalp with brahmi oil to keep Pitta at bay or use the powder in a cooling hair masks.
Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi)
Roots of jatamansi looks like long thick hair and so is the use. It helps in getting good hair growth. It is good for purification of blood and liver, so by removing impurities in blood, provides you a glowing complexion.
One may take jatamansi ghana (extract) 500mg two times a day for better result.