Khichadi (Moogdal and Rice)
Dal khichdi is one of the healthiest and tastiest dishes in Indian cuisine and is used in cases of ill health and digestive problems.
The traditional recipe for dal khichdi can be consumed by all combinations of Vata, Pitta and Kapha, without disturbing the balance of the doshas..
How to prepare khichdi (moong dal and rice)
Calories amount per serving
180 – 200 kcal.
Ingredients for 2-3 serves
- 500 gm. Basmati Rice.
- 400 gm. Moogdal (green gram) spilt.
- 2 tbsp.. or 10 gram turmeric powder
- 4 gm. Hing (asafoetida) or as per taste/ pungent , spicy taste of dish depens upon content of hing during preparation.
- 5 gm. Himalaya salt
- 20 gm. ghee (clarified butter)
- 500 ml water.
- 5 gm. jeera. (Cumin)
- Mix the rice and dal together in a bowl, wash and clean them.
- Put them in a pressure cooker and add ghee and jeera (cumin).
- Cook over low heat until simmering, then add the onions, tomatoes and garlic.
- Season with turmeric and salt and mix it well.
- Add water in the pressure cooker.
6. Mix well all the ingredients and the water.
7. The water should cover the rice.
8. Cook until the mixture thickens.
9. If necessary, add more ghee.
10. The thickness of khichdi depends on the amount of added water.
11. Cook over low heat until 6-7 whistles of the pressure cooker.
Khichdi is usually consumed in a semi-solid state.