Raita is a dish made from yogurt with raw or cooked vegetables and less often from fruit.
It is usually served as a side dish.
Some types of flatbread can be consumed with raita and different types of chutney.
Main ingredients of Raita
The main ingredients of Raita are:
- Yogurt with herbs and spices – coriander, cumin seeds, mint, black pepper, chaat masala, etc.
Vegetables – tomato, cucumber, carrot, pumpkin, potato, spinach, beets, gourd, green chickpeas, etc.
- Fruits – banana, mango, guava, grapes, pineapple and more.
Types of Raita in Ayurvedic cuisine
These can be:
- Onion raita – fresh onion, cottage cheese, mint and salt to taste.
- Boondi raita – boondi, hot red pepper, cottage cheese, mint, chat masala and salt.
- Grapefruit raita – grapefruit, cottage cheese, mint, chat masala and salt.
Raita can be served as a delicious side dish to the more spicy dishes of Indian cuisine.