In Ayurveda, stew is a combination of solid products, cooked in a liquid and served in a sauce.
It serves as a main dish and helps maintain the balance between cooked and raw foods, which according to Ayurvedic texts should be 70% to 30%.
What ingredients are used to make stew?
Stew ingredients may include a combination of:
- Vegetables – carrots, potatoes, onions, beans, peppers and tomatoes.
- Meat – beef, poultry, fish and seafood.
- Liquid base – water, coconut milk, broth or nut milk.
Ayurvedic recipe for vegetable-meat stew
carrots, meat, onions, potatoes, peas, beans, ginger, green peppers, pepper powder, cardamom, coconut milk, curry leaves, coconut oil, salt and sugar.
- The base of the thick sauce is made of chickpea flour (besan).
- Add all the ingredients except the hot pepper and coriander.
- Cook the stew on low heat – without boiling.
The stew is served with yogurt and garnished with hot peppers and coriander.